Friday, February 24, 2017

February 20-24--

Monday, again, and it feels more like late March or early April than February. We even brushed 70F yesterday. I went out on the patio and cleaned out some of the dead plants I had left as ground cover and to let the roots rot in the soil. I transferred the purslane to cells of the tiered pot under my grow lights. I think I will have to transplant the two rosemary plants out of that pot into their own slightly larger pot. I should also move the basils out from under the starter tray canopy because they will soon be too tall.

I pulled out the crocodile stitch crochet work I had done. The stitch is pretty but it eats up yarn like a rabbit goes through a spring garden. I simply didn't have enough yarn to make anything useful in that stitch and I really didn't want to have to try and match what I had. I started a couple of light weight headscarves in a stitch I have used before and liked well. After I found a refresher course on line because finding it in my print collection was somewhat challenging.

I love this "Breaking News" alert from the Archdruidess. Absolutely hilarious!!

Another post from the Archdruidess but not a funny one. I read recently of wildlife biologists trying to help a starving whale that had a lot of plastic bags clogging its stomach. Little wonder it was starving.

Tuesday--

Wednesday--

Yesterday was a day of errands (planned and unplanned) that took us out of the house. Today will be a day of household chores. And it is supposed to be another day of record or near record high temperatures. Yesterday set a new record for days in a row of 60+ days in a row in February, tied the number of sequential days of 60+ days in a winter and today may break both. But starting tomorrow the temps should go back to almost normal for this time of the year. I have to constantly remind myself that we are still mid winter here not mid spring.

This is painfully hilarious! Refugees from the U.S. seeking asylum in Canada.

Thursday--

Friday--

Nothing much to say talk about yesterday. I planted sweet basil, lemon basil, spearmint, and lime basil. Moved the Thai basil out of the heated starting tray. I am seeing more articles telling gardeners what seeds for their spring gardens now. They must all be a couple of growing zones south of me. I will start the seeds for the patio gardens in about two weeks. Everything I have started to date are for inside use. The tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers started earlier are small pot varieties and are doing well under lights. The eucalyptus I cut back severely is putting out some new shoots which makes me very happy. I should fill more of my starting cups and get them moistened and in the starting tray. Otherwise, I will decide what small part of my areas to straighten and clean up. As I get older I much prefer things neatly in their places and have become more strict with myself about putting things where they belong.

No comments: