Tuesday, April 21, 2020

April 21

We have made a resolution: we aren't going to watch #45's campaign rallies masked as  daily "news" briefings. Even when he turns the podium over to some other official it is an exercise in buffing his ego. 

Here is an interesting post on the spate of demonstrations against the coronavirus restrictions. The author is right about the meaninglessness of the various slogans. "Freedom from fear" begs two questions: Freedom from what and fear of what? But I would ask another question which has only been slightingly mentioned in the coverage of the nicely staged events: is this really a grassroots movement or is it astroturf? Nobody has followed the money. By the way why should someone's "freedom" to flirt with the virus mean that I (or anyone else) also have to do the same. 

I found this by Susie Madrak just after I wrote the bit above. Why am I not surprised that the backers are a roster of ultra right-wing idiots? My translation of the above slogan: My right to make gads of money is more important than your right to live.

The spirit of Johnny Appleseed lives on. I noted yesterday the fragility of our industrial system which relies on a narrow supply line often ending in a single supplier in a foreign country. Unfortunately, our agriculture system has developed its own industrial system which relies on a small (and growing smaller) number of varieties of fruits, vegetables, and grains that are suitable to large scale growing, harvesting, transport and sale. I have seen a number of recently developed apple varieties in the produce section of supermarkets including a some from overseas and a couple that are genetically engineered. Perhaps the rediscovery of antique varieties will provide some resilience at least in apples.

I think this comes under the "what goes around comes around" file. Anti-mask league in 1918 San Francisco; anti-social distancing demonstrations today.

David Frum at The Atlantic describes exactly what #45 is doing: basically it is a "heads I win; tails you lose" strategy.

Another interesting article at The Atlantic by George Packer. I have noted for some time the breathtaking decline in our respect for expertise, most of our institutions, and for our political/economic "leaders." There was a time when my father's disdain for "eggheads" was an exception. Now it seems to be vastly expanded to groups even Dad would have respected. But then, considering the item on the 1918 flu response, not necessarily unprecedented.

No comments: