Thursday, February 23, 2023

February 23

Well, it is morning. I don't know how good it will be because I haven't had my first cup of coffee. It is on the table beside me cooling off to drinking temperature. We had a good steady rain yesterday which was good for the garden pots on the patio.

So on to my reading:

I saw a small story on this item early yesterday (I think)--within the last couple of days anyway. The link is to the story DW (a German site in English) which provides a bit more detail. I also found this item by way of MSN. It would seem that the mysterious spate of suicides and lethal "accidents" among top level Russians has migrated to Belarus. Between the two stories it is evident that Putin's plans to reconstitute the once-Soviet, now Russian, Empire came into being very early after the 1991 fracturing of the Soviet Union. I wonder if Putin isn't becoming impatient because Ukrainians didn't fall into line as he expected them to.

At least we haven't had this kind of shortage. And the increase in energy prices is only part of the problem. But I noticed that one of the proposed solutions is for Britons, especially, to grow as much as they can wherever they can. The UK has imported a large part of their food for more than a century.

This morning the news had a snippet that reported Lake Powell reached another low water record. It is expected to go lower yet before, they hope, the spring thaw brings snow melt into the reservoirs. However, we shouldn't forget that we aren't the only areas suffering with the whiplash between flood and drought. And then there is this bit of very rare weather.

No comments: