Saturday, December 23, 2023

December 23

 Foggy this morning. It is almost 10am and it is just barely lifting. Earlier we could barely see across the street. We have usually warm temperatures for these near Christmas days and for Christmas itself.

I wasn't going to post anything but found this story which triggered one of my pet peeves: the medical treatment of our military veterans. My niece who died recently from a combination of cancer and heart disease related to rheumatoid arthritis had to fight for proper treatment repeatedly over the course of her physical problems. Thirty or so years ago when I taught Western Civ at a small college one of my students was a veteran who had been seriously wounded in Iraq. Although he still had all his limbs, he had pain and reduced mobility from the injuries. He fought both the military who wanted him back in uniform, in spite of disability, and the VA over the continuing treatments for his continuing symptoms. My ex-husband suffered from emphysema and fought to medical treatment. He finally got an appointment scheduled for almost a year out--and died six months before. I get pissed every time I see that pitch for the Wounded Warriors Project because the care of veterans should be the responsibility of our government on behalf of all of us. Repeated promises of reform have yielded absolutely nothing.

No comments: