Friday, February 16, 2024

February 16

 No sun today. In fact, it is snowing. I don't think we will get a huge snowfall. The Weather Channel predicts less than an inch accumulation.

News this morning reported the death of Alexi Navalny in a Siberian prison camp. The commentators nattered on and on what we might do to "hold Russia and Putin accountable." The most honest of them said "not much" and came closer to admitting that there are some things beyond our ability.

The other thing they went interminably on about was the hearing in Georgia on whether Fani Willis has a "conflict of interest" that would warrant her being forced off the RICO case against Trump and his co-defendants. To me they seem to be throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks. Nothing so far. Perhaps they should ask  that master of heaving ketchup laden plates against the wall to give it a try. I doubt even Trump could manage to get such ridiculous allegations to stick.

A bit I did catch on the news re-runs was a group of incredulous attorneys on the Trump and Co. side skeptical about her repaying Wade for her part of their shared expenses in cash. What?? No receipts?? Or that she would keep cash on hand at home. I remarked to Mom that they were all obviously so young I doubt they even write checks. They grew up in a world where a lot of people simply whipped out a credit/debit card. Mom and I both come from a time when credit/debit cards were rare. I wonder how they would have handled a situation we faced a couple of weeks ago. We pulled up to the gas pump and found a sign saying they could only accept cash because their electronic system was down. I simply walked to the register, put down cash and asked them to activate the pump. I told the attendant I would come back in for the change. We could understand why Willis would cash on hand and why she would repay Wade in cash.

No comments: