Tuesday, July 2, 2024

July 1, 2

 Welcome to July. Nice and sunny. Not too hot. Tomorrow I will have to water the gardens. I think the balloon flowers have just about finished their blooming cycle. They are supposed to be perennial here but that doesn't mean perennial in my spaces. I will observe them through next spring and see if they come back. I need to get out in the morning to get some plants pruned back and a couple of supports in spots to corral a couple of plants threatening to spread into other plants.

I started a new crochet piece in a pineapple variation. I like doing those patterns. I tried to start one of the filet patterns but the only white thread I have is size 20. I used to crochet with that size fairly often but I don't have the dexterity or eyesight to use it any more. We stopped off at Michaels and I picked up two gigantic balls of the size 10 thread. So far I can work with that.

02**********************************************************************

I got things watered this morning. And made some mental notes for some pruning and pots needing trellises. The weather prediction today indicates showers moving in later today and persisting through the next three days. Update: the predictions changed and pushed the rain to later in the week with a more broken pattern.

Responsible Statecraft posted this piece by Edward Hasbrouck on proposed changes to the National Defense Authorization Act which deal with the military draft--and yes it is still out there. I agree partly with his final conclusion: it is unworkable today and they should not have contingency. I agree that a draft today is unworkable for many of the reasons Hasbrouck cites. And I think that the draft itself should be eliminated but there should be contingency planning in case we find ourself in a DECLARED war. I emphasize that term because none of the wars after WWII were declared in any Constitutional manner. In other words, if the government isn't prepared to mobilize the society/economy for a war don't have a draft. And if there is a declared war women would be drafted along with the men. 

No comments: