Thursday, July 8, 2010

Good Morning, Everyone. It rained overnight and is still raining. We are supposed to have intermittent showers all day with highs in the mid 80s. I'm not complaining. I don't care if the water that sustains my gardens drops from the sky instead of my watering cans and hose; in fact, I prefer it. I thought I would give you some pictures of my jungle.

I put portulaca and some marigolds in the containers I cut from plastic juice cartons and threaded them onto the trellis stakes. They are supported by the cross beams. All the plants seem to like the arrangement and the portulaca is kept under control.

Here is another view of one of the pink portulaca. We have seen several bees working the flowers.

The little purple flower and the vines behind the container are the asparagus yardlong beans. I have them woven into the trellis and running across the back. We have already harvest some of them. We ate some last evening and froze what we didn't eat.




Here is a view of the west side. If you look closely you can see some gypsy peppers forming on the far left just above the marigolds. I planted two batches of marigold in two of the large tubs. The very broad leaves i the blue bed are Fairy Tales eggplant. You can't see the blossoms but there are a lot of them. Behind the eggplants are poblano peppers which are also doing very well and should produce nicely (knock on wood). The tallest plant in that bunch is an Ichiban eggplant in a converted Tidy Cat tub just like the one on the ground on the far right.


This picture shows the north wall. The Tidy cat tubs and the white tubs contain tomatoes.
All of these plants are producing well though the heat has been a bit hard on them. I have commented before that our patio is an oversized oven that runs between 5 and 10 degrees above the official temps. I think we touched 90 officially yesterday but the patio thermometer registered 98.





I mentioned yardlong beans and this is what they look like. The cutting board is 20x24 inches so you can get an idea of how long the pods can get. The recommend harvesting at the 18 in size. The tomatoes at the back are among the first from the Mothers' Day plant my sister gave Mom.

No comments: