Friday, June 1, 2012

Welcome to June, Everyone.  Cold, cloudy, and rainy this morning.  I think we got, maybe, three-quarters of an inch from yesterday through last night.  I am not complaining.  We needed the rain and could use more.  Besides posting the pictures of the garden yesterday I also moved the pyrethrum plants I had sharing the pot with the vine peaches and the marigolds that were in with the Butterbush squash.  But that was all I did.  I was chilled to the bone after I finished.  Let's see what I find on the internet.

For some time I have seen various stories about our developing 'surveillance' nation.  There was one story about a car rental company that used the GPS tracking system to monitor how their customers drove and assessed penalties for those who exceeded the speed limits.  More and more cities are putting in more and more traffic and other surveillance cameras.  Chicago Mayor Emanuel has caught flack twice in the past years for plans to install a lot more cameras.  This Matt Stoller piece carried by Naked Capitalism promises that the ante is going to be seriously upped with the entry of more for-profit companies who see a whole new series of markets for surveillance.  If you aren't scared out of your minds, you should be.

It seems that metal thieves are setting their sights a bit lower now-a-days--at least in Chicago.  They have gone from air conditioning units and manhole covers to mail box covers.

No comments: