Monday, August 28, 2017

Bread baking day yesterday. It was nice to get back to that. I had so much trouble with my breads last spring I gave it a rest when the weather got hot. Just didn't want to heat up the kitchen and it gave me time to think and research a bit. We threw out our old metal, non-stick pans because the finish had deteriorated but we didn't replace them. I used our glass loaf pans instead but couldn't get the timing right. The loaves seemed to be done but not really. After reading a bit we decided to get a couple of new metal pans and that seems to have done the trick. The German dark rye I did up yesterday came out beautiful. We have missed the homemade bread tastes so much better than the store bought.

This story deserves some expletives!! Once Hurricane and now Tropical Storm Harvey is expected to back out of Texas and move over to re-enter Texas closer to or right on Houston. Mother Nature sure doesn't like that area much. James Kunstler has a post this morning which details some of the possible and probable repercussions of having the fourth largest city in the U.S. put out of commission. I read elsewhere that 15% of the U.S. gasoline comes from the refineries around Houston.

No comments: