Friday, December 7, 2018

Friday December 7

Nothing much going on. The weather is much the same though we should get more sun which is always nice.

I finally found my tatting needles. You know the frustration of knowing you have something and you simply can't find it. I found my shuttles sometime ago and put them in a spot where I can get at them. The What-not Room has been reorganized so I can actually be able to find most things. I still haven't tackled the closet. That may remain a project for the new year. I actually started looking for a new set of tatting needles but couldn't find any anywhere locally and most of my usual on-line needlework outlets no longer carried them. Ah, well, that is behind me. Now I can relearn the little tatting I learned once upon a time.

So the social scientists are finally getting on to this phenomenon: households composed of very old parents and their old children. I wonder what notions the not-old-at-all researchers will find to tell us-who-are-old about our own lives.

THIS is supposedly the best advice a former general in charge of our forces in Afghanistan had for our current Secretary of State--and it is pathetic. What we need is a modern Walter Cronkite to tell the American people that this is a lost cause. Unfortunately, in this age of corporate media, we don't have one.

The real mark of time's passage: when there is no one left who remembers living through an event. That time is quickly coming for the WWII generation. And this comes just after the funeral of the last WWII veteran to serve as president: George H.W. Bush--age 95.

I crochet and have since I was a teenager. I found this Interweave article on the history of the art fascinating. I was one who thought it was older than it is.

No comments: