Saturday, June 20, 2020

June 20--Welcome to Summer

This month has felt like summer with many more days with temperatures above normal. I think we touched 90F yesterday and should get to almost the same temp today before the showers come in. I checked the containers in the garden and they had plenty of moisture so I decided not to water--at least for now. I harvested basil, sage, rosemary and spearmint yesterday. All that is now dry and waiting for me to put it in jars. I noticed that the tomato, pepper, and sunflowers should be staked so that is my list for tomorrow--if the rain doesn't extend into tomorrow.

What I am reading today:

John Mauldin's Thoughts From The Frontline. Basically, this post outlines where Mauldin thinks we are and where he thinks we are going. For the most part, his thoughts agree with mine on our current situation except mine are a bit gloomier. I think the timeline to "recovery" (however you want to define it) will be a lot longer and some of us won't recover.

The New York Times posted this piece which declares climate change may just spell the end of the 30-year mortgage. I would say that it is just another nail in that coffin. The uncertain job market of the last 20 years or so, the greater mobility of the more affluent segments of the labor force who can work from anywhere they have a good internet connection, and other factors also enter into the discussion. It is interesting that the insurance industry is holding the hammer. But when changes affect profitability business takes notice and action quickly.

I have stopped asking if #45's administration can sink to a new low on any measure. This is another new low. His middle initial should be I--for Incompetence. Works for Imbecile, Insensitive, Ignorant, Idiot as well.

No comments: