Wednesday, November 3, 2021

 November 3

Another cold but sunny day. We saw frost on roofs, cars and grass when the sun came up this morning. I won't do any more gardening today.

A blogger I read regularly posted just before Halloween that the pandemic and its various work-from-home schemes or lockdowns etc. pushed him to a pattern of comfort reading or comfort movie viewing. He decided to break that by choosing movies and books he had on his to-read (-view) list but hadn't yet read (or viewed). We have had a similar pattern but the pandemic isolation isn't the primary factor pushing the emphasis on comfort books or movies. We just haven't found very many items that interest us. I have been reading old favorites, many of which I hadn't read in a long time: The Lord of the Ring trilogy, Dune, The Emberverse series and others. I do have a number of non-fiction books I have been nibbling on including histories of Egypt, the Civil War, Roman Britain.

I just finished reading John Michael Greer's latest post on Ecosophia. He always makes fascinating connections and conclusions. He is right that people of modern industrial societies dismiss the notion that history has anything to teach us. Pay particular attention to his last paragraph.


No comments: