Thursday, April 7, 2022

April 7

 I finally changed the wreath on the door from the winter wreath to a more springlike wreath. I think I should put together a truly spring wreath sometime over this coming year. I did see a hopeful sign that the asiatic lilies survived--a new stalk sprouting. Those are on my list for adding more to the gardens. Maybe I will put in some other spring bulbs in the fall to, perhaps, bloom next spring. Some other plants are definitely coming back while others are not yet showing life. We are still a month and a half away from serious planting season. I got out on the patio and cleaned up a bit more of the leaves left over from last fall. I used them to mulch some of my planters.  I also trimmed the dead stalks from the chamomile, bee balm and valerian which are showing good signs of growth. With a bit more sun and warmth others might also resurrect. 

In the midst of news that swings drunkenly from the miserable displays of partisan spite in Washington, to the latest tragic spate of shootings in various places to the utterly horrific (if not exactly surprising) in Ukraine a few things are getting accomplished on the personal level. Just as the gardens are coming back to life, I have managed to finished three crocheted blankets, make significant progress on two more crocheted pieces, finished several embroidered pieces (a small table cloth, table topper, and pair of pillow cases.)

Tom Engelhardt, on his tomdispatch blog, posted a piece that reflects a good bit of my thinking lately. Wars have happened on the edges of our consciousness in black and brown lands far away. Only a small fraction of our population ever fought those wars because we ended the draft more than 40 years ago.


No comments: