Friday, August 28, 2009

Good Morning, again. Third rainy day in a row and no end in sight till some time tomorrow. I am watching the large containers I didn't put drain holes in. I hope they don't become waterlogged. I really did not like the weather forecast this morning. They think overnight lows in the 40s are possible Sunday and Monday. I did check the calendar and confirmed that we are really in the last weekend of August. I am going to have to check out our plastic sheeting and plan on when to put it up. We might have an early frost. Believe me my thoughts on this are definitely not printable.

I will make an observation but I won't put up the links behind it. Over the last couple of days I have noticed several postings and links to articles concerning agriculture in Cuba. Thanks to the collapse of the Soviet Union (Cuba's major supporter) and the on-going U.S. embargo, Cubans have had to take a step backward toward a non-fossil fuel farm system. Instead of gas-driven tractors and other machinery they now rely on oxen and human hands. Today, I found posts trumpeting shortages of fresh vegetables and toilet paper. Of course, the pieces today decry the continuation of the 'insane' Communist system and predict that, if only the Cubans would get with the program, they could have a wonderful world of abundance if they got rid of it. Anyone else here see a nice bit of propaganda for the miracle of unfettered Capitalism? You know--the one that gave us rising unemployment rates, a list of endangered banks exceeding 400, a useless war in Iraq, a collapsed housing market, two of three automakers in bankruptcy, and so on and so on and so on?

Donna Woodka at Changing Places has a link to reports prepared by the committee considering H.R. 3200, America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 which have been given to each of the Congressmen/women detailing the impact in each district. It makes some interesting reading.

1 comment:

Looking to the Stars said...

Thank you for the update on Cuba. I hadn't heard anything about them using the oxen to plow.

I have always thought that what we did to Cuba was unfair. All they wanted was us (the U.S.) to leave them alone. Castro spent time here in America in 1958, when he went back to Cuba he didn't want anything to do with us. Makes you wonder what our statesmen said and did to him.