Thursday, November 29, 2018

November 28

It is very cold and we have had snow flurries but nothing much more. Over the next few days the temps should rise into the high 30s and 40s so much of what we have should melt. I hope the ice under the snow goes away. It was difficult getting the trash tote out to the street.

The first seed catalog came yesterday. It has a couple of interesting items I will keep in mind as I plan: a gorgeous sunflower and spectacular nasturtium. I went through my seed box and tossed everything that was either acquired in 2017 or earlier and/or I didn't want to plant this year. Final result: 6 seed packets. Mom laughed when I told her what they were because 2 are for the cats: catnip and cat grass. For the rest one packet each of blackeyed susan vine, calendula, malabar spinach and perpetual spinach. I have never had much luck starting herbs from seed so I will get those from the garden shops and the farm market when it opens. If something catches my eye I might give it a try.

November 29

We had a light covering of new snow overnight but nothing frozen. The temperatures, as I said above, should make short work of getting rid of it and, hopefully, some of the ice. If I can get into the shed, a big if, I will get the salt and help things along.

I found this on Medium this morning. I generally read between 80 and 100 books each year--everything he says is pretty well on the money. I learned a while back to not worry about finishing a book that simply doesn't work for me and not feel guilty about it. I have a number of books I am reading currently and I pull them up (they are on my iPad) every now and then to read another chapter or so. I have old favorites that have stood the test of (my) time well and I go back to them every now and then. I have started books I wanted to revisit but found I couldn't get into them even thou I really liked them once upon a time. I have two main activities: needlework (with several projects in varying stages of getting done) and reading. And I now have the time to indulge both.

No comments: