Thursday, March 19, 2020

March 19

SARS--8000 cases/800 deaths worldwide
Swine flu--9079 U.S. cases/593 U.S. deaths
Coronavirus (COVID-19)--9000+ U.S. cases/150 U.S. deaths so far
1918 Spanish Flu--25% of U.S. population affected/ 500k-675k U.S. deaths

I keep hearing and reading comparisons of the COVID-19 pandemic to swine flu and SARS. COVID-19 as already infected more people in the U.S. alone though SARS was more deadly (so far). It has almost reached the number of cases swine flu caused and may have exceeded if the numbers I saw on the news this morning (9500) is right though it hasn't killed as many--again so far. And we are at the beginning of this outbreak.  The 1918 flu lasted 15 months to 2 years with two or three distinct waves of infections/deaths and the largest number of fatalities occurred in a 24 weak period--that is, 6 months. U.S. population at the time was about 105 million so an estimated 26 million people were affected. U.S. population now is 327 million. We had better hope the COVID-19 isn't nearly as dangerous as the 1918 flu.

On to more interesting things. Planted valerian, echinacea, Our Lady's bedstraw, calendula, and chamomile today. Will plant the butterfly pea and purple basil tomorrow. The pea needs to soak overnight so it is soaking now. The basil wasn't on the list but it came as a freebee so I decided to see how it does. I also found a packet of herb seeds and a packet of mixed greens so I will add them to my list. At the moment I don't know if my local garden shop is open or closed or if it will be selling the plants I want to add as transplants. Best to make alternate plans.

Mom had a case of cabin fever and we had a bit of a grocery list so we went out to the local Meijer store. I added herb seeds and 2 bags of potting soil so I can start more of my desired plants inside. I hope my garden shops will be open when I need transplants but I can't depend on it. We saw several empty shelves but the stockers were working hard to fill them up. Everything we got is something we were use and which we were out of or very low on and we didn't buy any more than usual. The store was crowded but that may be normal. We wouldn't know because we usually shop very early in the morning. Everyone was pleasant and no one was panicked.

No comments: