Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Wednesday

The corona virus situation is moving with mind boggling rapidity--at least in some respects. We went to my brother's yesterday for dinner and to celebrate his son's birthday. Only nine people so under the recommended limits. Traffic was lighter than usual on major roads. The parking lots at the two supermarkets we passed were only half full. No cars at the one sit-down restaurant and only drive throughs active in the fast food outlets.

Yesterday our bank sent out e-mails announcing they are closing their lobbies and in-store locations from today with no projected reopening date. The local library is closed. The animal shelter is closed. Both for an indefinite period. As we were talking my sister-in-law got a text which cancelled one the local church dinner they usually attend. The church they normally attend and are active in also cancelled their weekly dinner for which they had already prepared a dish. Brother is bringing us a 2 day supply of that dish when he comes out here for a previously scheduled medical appointment. About the only businesses still open are restaurants with delivery and/or pick-up services, stores with grocery departments, and pharmacies. My relatives are totally bummed out because they are sure this virus is no worse than seasonal flu. I don't bother arguing with them because I could tell them the sun rises in the east and they would insist I am wrong.

I filled up another six pot for the next set of seeds I need to plant over the next two days. I originally planned a herb and dyers garden with flowers this year. I might expand that a bit but haven't decided yet. I might send in another order for some other veggie plants. A blogger who advocated veggie gardening in a big way decided to give up on it a couple of years ago after two or three years of disappointing results. I once did tomatoes and peppers and got enough for us for the whole year. But about five years ago those yields declined drastically. I garden in containers on a small fenced patio which is an oven in the summer (up to 20F more than official temp) and a deep freeze in the winter. Peppers and tomatoes don't set fruit when the temps exceed 95F. I did see a new tomato in the Burpee catalog which is supposed to be more heat tolerant. I might try it next year. On the schedule this week are valerian, butterfly pea, Our Lady's bedstraw, echinacea, calendula and dyer's chamomile. So far I have indigo, woad, and madder sprouting. The woodruff hasn't come up yet.

I wonder if the farm market will be open this year.

No comments: