Wednesday, March 22, 2023

March 22

 Cloudy and wet but the temperature is supposed to reach 50F or thereabouts. The rain should help thaw out the lower levels of the pots. It is still too cold and the soil isn't defrosted enough to plant.

Well, I wondered when something like this would happen. I remember when the libraries took out physical card catalogs and put in computerized systems. If I had the room my library would still be physical books but I have switched to digital. But I wonder if completely getting rid of physical books is as cost effective as they think. They have the expense of scanning the books which can't be cheap and then the waste of discarding the bound volumes. I wonder how long lasting thee digital volumes might be. I have read books in a rare books section of two university libraries that were over 100 years old. Digital books have only been around for about 30 years.

Mom was reading about a nasty rise in eye infections from contaminated eye drops. The bacterium is antibiotic resistant; the FDA has issued a warning and the India based company has issued a recall. I wondered if the problem was contaminated solution or if people had accidentally contaminated their eye drops so I Googled the story. We were concerned because we use eyedrops because our eyes get so dry. Thankfully our drops aren't either of the brands cited and aren't made by the named company.

No comments: