Friday, October 22, 2021

 October 22

OMG--two thirds through October and it has been a month since I last posted anything. Though Autumn can be a pretty time and the cooler temperatures are a definite relief after this Summer's heat, it is also a depressing time. The days are shorter and darkness comes sooner and lingers longer--or so it seems. It has been busy with appointments with eye doctors and trips to pick up glasses (mine haven't come yet), the cats are due for their vet visit, and Mom finally had appointments with an audiologist and was fitted for hearing aids. She is amazed by what she hasn't been hearing.

Autumn is the mirror image of Spring in the gardens. In Spring we wait for the shadow of the house to recede so the fence can reflect heat and light onto the containers which happens increasingly after the Vernal Equinox. Then we wait for the soil to thaw completely and warm up to planting. And finally we plant. Before we get things growing the space is bleak and depressing. In Autumn it is reversed. The sun travels up the fence until the space is shaded most of the day. The plants that don't like shade are first to droop followed by those who don't like the lower nighttime temperatures. I have already removed three. We have had unusual rains lately so I detached the hose and put it away for the winter. I am looking at the roses wondering if I will try to keep them. They have suffered from recurring infestation of mosaic. The spray I have been using has helped but applying the spray with the rains we have had would have been useless. A couple of other plant I plan to protect for the winter. I have a small straw bale for that purpose. The end of the season will find the gardens almost as bleak and depressing as early Spring.

I finally finished the crochet tablecloth--after nearly 10 months. That includes the the time I lost because I had to pull everything out because of a major, catastrophic, pattern busting mistake. However, I persisted and the finished piece is now on the table. My major aim was to use up as much of my stash of crochet thread as possible. It was a mix of reclaimed thread from a bedspread project I never finished, partial balls from long ago projects, and a couple of balls of new thread. Not all were the same color but I decided that the final effect of white/ecru/cream was attractive and won't dye it. I have also finished two cross stitched table toppers and a table scarf.

No comments: