Tuesday, July 19, 2022

July 18

 It looks like a nice sunny day. We have light fog that should burn off fairly quickly. After several days with clouds and frequent (sometimes heavy) rain I might get out in the gardens. Things are looking a bit bedraggled. The ten-day weather forecast has changed a bit for our area: less rain, a bit lower temps (no 90s, hallelujah), and plenty of sun. I don't think I will have to water anything until Wednesday which is nice. The little patio tomato has given us a whole bunch of little ripe tomatoes which we have enjoyed them in a couple of salads and with cottage cheese. The pepper has a couple ripening. I should be able to pick them soon. With lower temps over the next ten or more days both plants might set some more flowers.

Karen Greenberg, posting on Tomdispatch.com today, asks "Can the System Be Saved?" I, like Engelhardt in his intro, am not holding my breath. As I read the post my mind went back to another "institution" that has, recently, suffered a crisis in confidence because of unaccountability: the Catholic Church and its priesthood. I did a quick google search and found several articles which cited polls saying that trust in priests had sunk to 31%. I will let you do your own search. According to this article, trust in our political institutions is lower. In each case, the institutions were protected even as the principles that, originally, supported the institutions were violated repeatedly. People loose faith or trust, in institutions slowly and only after repeated violations over time, and rebuilding that faith or trust can't be done over night. The institutions may break before the faith is renewed.

I recently started culling my e-mail list. When I signed up for some of the lists they had information I enjoyed on quilting, crochet, or embroidery. However, the sites have become more and more commercial--hawking products or memberships and providing less information and patterns. So I have unsubscribed to many and blocking others that don't let me easily unsubscribe. Sad but I am so tired of being sold something.

No comments: