Wednesday, November 16, 2022

November 16

Cold and cloudy. The snow didn't even stick around long enough to become a memory. The Weather Channel was talking about heavy snow for the southern shores of the Great Lakes and for the Finger Lakes area of New York thanks to the lake effect. They are talking about snow falls in feet not inches. We'll see.

Well, The Former Guy finally made his "big announcement." I don't know what time it was supposed to be on. I don't think the channels we watch carried it at all though they were all mentioning it this morning. At one point the commenter said that even Sean Hannity broke away from the ramblings. We now have non-stop election season.

I guess winter has decided to slip in. We are getting snow now with a brisk west wind. I don't think any will accumulate yet.

I wonder how soon TFG will have to foot his own legal bills. The RNC Chair McDaniels said the day before the election that if he did run they couldn't do that. She also said that on the day of the election. Will they actually cut him off.

The last time we went shopping we were stunned by some of the prices for what we bought. I wonder what those prices will be when we shop on Friday. Hopefully they will be nothing like some of those described here

John Michael Greer on Ecosophia has a post on education which makes points similar to those I have made over the last several years. The education industry was designed to turn out obedient, punctual, and sober workers for the factories. It wasn't designed to teach critical thinking or to encourage questioning of anything. He talks about reading and how children are ready to learn to read at different times. I had difficulty with reading when we started in 1st grade. Finally Mom got mad and taught me phonics which made the teachers mad. She wasn't a teacher and didn't have a college education so she wasn't qualified to teach me anything. Mom was polite, so she didn't give them the middle finger salute they deserved, and went on doing what she had been doing. I never looked back and became a voracious reader. Even today, in my 70s, I read around 200 books a year. That is considerably less than when I was a history grad student.

An interesting notion: charging a hefty tax on water intensive crops exported to other countries. The article does a nice job of covering some of the obvious problems with the scheme. I have another question: shouldn't information be considered as a "crop" considering how much water is used by the server farms in the west? And the author is absolutely right in wondering how in the world you can get a handle on the amount of water a given export requires. This site gives the water burden various foods require and Stanford University says each computer chip requires 10 gallons of water.

No comments: