Wednesday, February 22, 2023

February 22

 ***************************************22*******************************

I think it is wet outside from the light glistening off the pavements that generally don't shine in the light. I checked out the pots to see if anything is waking up. I did see a couple of hopeful signs but it isn't yet even early spring. Although, I was contemplating changing out the winter wreath for a spring themed wreath. Looking at the longer range (10 day) forecast and I saw only one day which might have a high temp below 32F.

CNN had a longer article on the arguments before the Supreme Court concerning Section 230. After three hours of argument, the justices seemed thoroughly confused about what can or should be done, at least by the court. As Justice Elena Kagan mentioned the nine justices aren't "the greatest experts on the internet."

Charles Hugh Smith has a good post that mirrors thoughts that have been brewing in my mind over the last few years. I once described myself as a "news junkie." I don't any more for several reasons. First, the news presented in the media is very repetitive. Each day only a few, often only one or two stories are featured over and over (and over and over). Second, the media thrives on drama and contention. A word that has been coined over the last few years describes it very well: infotainment, with an emphasis on a the "-tainment" half. We have the TV on mostly as background noise because Mom has tinnitis and the background noise makes it bearable. Sometimes it is annoying and by myself I would turn it off most of the time. Third, there isn't a damned thing I can do about any of it. Some of it might have an impact on my life and those stories I pay attention to mainly so I can figure out what might happen and how to minimize any adverse effects. More and more I ignore it all.

No comments: