Thursday, March 14, 2024

March 15

Stormy last night--thunder and lightning with heavy rain. Now it is simply rain coming in waves. Glad I got some of the clean up on the patio done yesterday--including moving my tub of soil and half-bag of potting mix into the shed. No--I didn't get the shed cleaned out. That is for the next dry day. Welcome to half-past March.

Today I hope to make some progress in the What-not Room. I got into getting it reorganized because I remember some partly completed pieces and the pattern books to go with them. I didn't find them in the usual places. Nor did I find them in a few unusual places. So I figured it was time  and--hey--it is Spring.

Naked Capitalism has another set of "Oh, Shit" climate graphs. Think about the fact that as the temperatures rise the GDP goes down.

I linked to an article by Martin Kulldorf yesterday, I think, in which he claims Harvard fired him because he questioned the "company line" on COVID: vaccines, lockdowns, and masks. This article takes his arguments on so I thought I would give you another side of the argument. I found the article annoying. Name calling is never conducive to discussion and neither are snarky barbs. So far nothing I have read convinces me that the vaccines were not effective though perhaps not at the level the early propaganda information from the drug companies gave us. But NO vaccine is totally effective. It is a numbers game: with the vaccine X cases/hospitalizations/deaths vs. without Y cases/hospitalizations/deaths. If X is less than Y then you do get some benefit. All other mitigation measures are judged the same way. We are still learning about COVID.

Found this Nature article by way of Naked Capitalism. It asks why so many young people are getting cancer. Good question. No firm answers.

No comments: