Thursday, May 23, 2019

Thursday, May 23

I looks like we will get a bit of sun today. We had a good bit yesterday but we did grocery shopping which involved replenishing a good bit much of which involved several heavy loads we had to lug from the car inside. Even a light shopping day leaves us tired and not wanting to do much of anything else the rest of the day. Last night we had severe thunderstorms that left everything soggy. Even so I have cleaned out the bird feeders which I will fill once they have dried, and potted the oregano we got with the groceries yesterday.

The prices, however, are unbelievable. Pots that only two or three years ago would have sold for $2-3 were marked at $4. We saw several nice flowering plants but balked at the $8-10 they wanted. I did buy oregano, lemon thyme and creeping Jenny. I put the oregano into a medium sized pot and sank it into the 5-gal bucket so I can, I hope, pull it (pot and all) to bring in over winter. I plan on doing the same with other herbs as well. Next spring I want to try to root cuttings.

My second pot of snake beans appear to be going the way of the first so starting them from seed this year is a bust. The pickling cucumbers and sour gherkins are also. Those I will plant directly in the gardens and hope for some small yield. This has been a miserable spring for gardening.

No comments: