Sunday, May 12, 2019

Well, I'm back. At least for now. I haven't been totally idle. These are a couple of pieces I finished over the last few months. I also finished a small crochet table cloth, a couple of other embroidered table scarves, and more crochet doilies.



What I haven't done is comment much on the politics. That is much too depressing. Once upon a time we took pride in being a nation of laws not men. Now, that claim is a bitter joke and the rot starts at the top. We also once took pride in being a nation of immigrants which is also a bitter joke. I could go on down the line.

The weather has been strange. Some days it feels like spring has arrived but then winter makes a brutal reappearance. We have had more rain than is normal and it comes as a monsoonal deluge which pounds any transplants you have been unwise enough to put in. I lost my cardinal climbers but the snake beans and black-eyed susans were well protected and are doing fine. The hibiscus are also doing well though one almost expired when we got almost summer temperatures and way too much sun. It has now rebounded in a shadier place. I did get spearmint and lavender planted. Those transplants were well enough developed to withstand the rain. But most of the garden remain to be planted. For about the last five+ years the planting seems to have moved further into May and this year it may not be finished before late June. We'll see. The local outdoor/farm market opens on June 1 and those venders usually have interesting plants for sale.

I am not cultivating my planters as much this year--mostly the top six inches at most. Some of the bigger pots I will only dig where I am going to put the transplant.

This year most of what I started from seeds have done well. I have a pot of Black Russian tomato plants which I will reduce to two when I put them in. I had decided not to plant any tomatoes but these were a freebee. I won't do any peppers either. However, I do have nice pots of Mexican sour gherkins and Parisian pickling cucumbers ready to think and put out. They should be interesting.

I didn't do much planning this year. I find that the garden I wind up with in the fall is never the one I planned or the one I planted. It is an interesting surprise every year.


No comments: