Friday, July 10, 2020

July 9

Well, the temps for the next 5 or 6 days should be a little cooler--mid to high 80s (F) vs mid 90s(F). We had to do some shopping yesterday so I didn't get the gardens watered because it was already too hot to be outside. I feel like a blogger I read who wrote she didn't want to dig the trench for her leeks as long or as deep as usual. She realized that she didn't need as many as she once did (smaller family) and, more importantly, "I'm old" she said. I am only a little younger than she is but I also look at how I can take a bit of the hard work out of gardening. At 71 what I used to do is way too exhausting. However, I soaked everything well and tomorrow I plan to harvest some mints and, maybe, basil and sage. And I can get a couple of other chores done as well. I will only water what absolutely needs it. I didn't see as much heat stress as I expected and didn't have to apply as much water as I expected.

Found this interesting article first off this morning. They keep finding new complications from the coronavirus and some are terrifying no matter how small a percentage of patients are affected. What most people forget is that a small percentage of a large number is still a large number. Those who argue that it is no worse than the seasonal flu aren't paying attention and, perhaps, they should look at the possible complications associated with seasonal flu.

July 10

It has been raining most of the morning so I didn't do any gardening. I did take a look at things and found three ripe chocolate cherry tomatoes. That was nice. Everything is doing nicely. I guess I will read for most of today. I spent about two and a half hours working on a cross-stitch table cloth and a bit more time playing with a trim on a neck gaiter--they work well as face coverings.

I don't think there are curse words strong enough to cover this shit. This story links the covid-19 and the accompanying recession to a significant loss of trust in government. I would guess that the pandemic and recession aren't the only factors involved. Who says the government is worthy of trust? 

No comments: