Sunday, October 25, 2020

 Nine More Days of our Election Hell--October 25

I wasn't planning to post anything today. Actually I never plan on posting. I just find something that tickles my mind. This morning I found this:. Boris Johnson is learning that in politics can never follow the science. Although the story is from the Guardian and involves the situation in the U.K., it also describes our own situation on this side of the Pond. The author cites Max Weber whom I haven't read (along with a lot of other writers). But the notion that don't mix rings true. So often these days I look at the same scientific reports as someone else and come to entirely different conclusions. Sometimes the problem is a matter of how the terms are used. Like "weather" vs. "climate". So often people use the terms interchangeably. Sometimes the connections are harder to see and, as authors I read who write on science remind their readers, "correlation isn't causation." Just because one phenomenon changes in a demonstrable relationship with another doesn't mean the one causes the other. But another problem is people want certainty which science rarely provides.


No comments: