Monday, April 17, 2023

April 17

We had snow on the cars this morning and the forecast predicted more today with low temps. No gardening today. I did get out to check the rose (no living roots--😞) and I don't see any chamomile coming up (😞). The asiatic lilies and the indigo are doing well and some more valerian is poking up above the soil.

It is cool enough that we have changed back into our winter sweats. And we welcome the cats snuggling on out laps.

I just had a strange problem with Blogger. Somehow I was kicked out and had to try to remember what my Google password was. After several minutes of swearing and shouting, I finally did get it right. Damn!! At least I am back.

I was reading this about the time I got into the article yesterday about Walmart's closing four stores in Chicago's low income south and west. I think there is some parallels here but I rather think our politicians are going to go in the path they have so far. No criticism of big business or the limits of business or of how inefficiently they handle anything but finding a way to squeeze out a profit has in the last 70 years has changed our politico's attitudes. Putin evidently has recognized that business can't (or won't) achieve any goal besides shoving as much profit into their own pockets. He evidently has decided that business can do business but the government will regulate and direct them--basically forcing them to contribute to political endeavors. That might be why so many high up business officials have taken swan dives out of windows over the last couple of years.

Another casualty of Brexit. No the Orient Express isn't cancelled entirely--only the section that goes from London to Calais. Evidently the regulations for passengers going to and from the Continent have caused considerable delay and frustrations.

I just saw a piece on Patheos, which I didn't read and to which I will not link. I am more interested in the question in the title: should politically active churches lose their tax exempt status. I say no--all churches should be taxed. So should any other faith based institutions of what ever religion. I would be all for such institutions being able to deduct the costs of their social or charitable activities but not their political costs. I live within blocks of three churches which run schools, usually K-8 grades, and two have food pantries. Those are valuable resources for the community and they should be able to reduce their taxes as an encouragement to continue. 

No comments: