Thursday, April 27, 2023

April 27

 Still dark outside. Our internet was down most of yesterday. We'll see how today goes. Mom was more affected than I was. I simply put a stack of DVDs on and pulled out the iPad with my library on it. I don't put anything on whatever cloud space I have because I don't want to call up a book and find I can't retrieve it because the internet is down. I still am amazed about how dependent we are on that service.

I am also amazed at what snowflakes some Republican lawmakers are. In Montana they procedurally gagged a Democrat who is the only trans-woman elected to their legislature. And that during a debate on a law aimed directly at the trans-community. Robert Reich has a good take on the fascist tendencies past (Nazi Germany) and present which share a strong strain of sexual insecurity.

Spineless McCarthy finally got his caucus to pass (barely) his so-called debt ceiling bill. After telling them that the original bill would not be changed, he changed it to include what ever the wing nuts wanted. Government by bribery.

The Panama Canal has been affected by a major drought. The Authority controlling the operations have reduced the shipping traffic 5 times this season (since January) because the water levels of the two artificial lakes supplying the water that the canal requires to transit the ships. The drought is also fueling a social unrest as water shortages are occurring in other areas of Panama.

Panama isn't the only drought stricken area. Italy, thanks to scant rain and a very poor snowfall, is looking at a second severe drought.


 

No comments: