Sunday, January 10, 2021

 January 10

The political situation is still roiling co it seems to fit compounded with the short time frame. Only ten days left before the inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris but the last few days show how much can happen in a short time. 

David Kaiser posted this piece with some interesting comments comparing #45 to Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s. I had never heard of the term "dry drunk". The colloquial term refers to recovering alcoholics who, though sober, exhibit the behaviors of active alcoholics. Number 45, they say doesn't drink but he does seem to be addicted to the adulation of his followers, fans, sycophants etc. Now that seems to be waning and he is cut off from his Twitter and other media he used to connect with his mob he is going through withdrawal.

A thought that has been circulating in my mind every time Pres.-Elect Biden talks about healing continues the thread from Kaiser's post. All of the addiction programs note that before addicts can begin to overcome their problem they have to acknowledge the problem and, in most cases, that means hitting rock bottom physically, emotionally, socially, economically. Before this country can heal we have to recognize that we have something to heal from. I don't think that recognition exists.

Some commentator last night mentioned that failed coups often resulted a couple of years after in a successful coup. Hitler led his Beer Hall Putsch in 1923, was arrested and sentenced to five years in prison of which he served one year, and then rebuilt his party which by 1933 was the majority in the Reichstag. One year later he became Chancellor. Interestingly, the commentator noted that the pattern of failed coup followed by a successful coup has been common in that bastion of s--hole countries: Africa. Are we on the verge of becoming an s--hole country? Are already there?

I had to take out the work I had done on that crochet table cloth I have been working on for the last several days. Infuriating. I found at a point that somewhere I had made a mistake and the count simply wouldn't work and I couldn't find a point where I could get on track. This is only the second piece I had to take out the whole thing and start over--which I will do in the near future after the frustration has worn off. I made better progress on my embroidery and only have a small corner on the table scarf to finish off the whole thing.

No comments: