Sunday, April 4, 2021

 April 4

The temperatures have gone up. Yesterday was in the 60s and overnight we didn't go much below 50. I got out in the gardens and pulled some of the dead stuff. I plan to go out later today and do some more. I think I found another survivor--the oregano in the window box planter. I will take a closer look and see if it has survived and if it is worth keeping.

David Kaiser had another good article that reflects some of what I have been thinking watching the move in Republican controlled states to place new procedures to "secure" the electoral system even though concerted and repeated efforts to find fraud. The real problem is that people voted in large numbers who they think shouldn't vote because they aren't likely to vote Republican. Though the argument has largely been couched in terms of race (too many black and brown people endured all of the hardships heaped on them to vote) in truth poor people of all ethnic and racial groups (including) white are also subject to the new restrictions. Class is also an issue. I wondered if the Republicans were considering property qualifications like those in place in the early Republic.

It has been a bit over three weeks since Mom and I got out "jab" and a little longer since my niece got her last dose of whichever 2-shot vaccines she got so we were glad when she called to ask if she could visit. It was a good visit and we look forward to more now.

Oh!, and Happy Easter to those who observe the holiday. I almost forgot about that.


No comments: