Sunday, March 19, 2023

March 19

 Sunny today and warmer temperatures. The temperatures over the next week are supposed to return to a "spring" like level. I put that in quotes because the seasons are really not anything like "normal." I do see that the trees are beginning to develop leaf buds. Oh, how I am looking forward to more green outside.

Finally the Senate moved the measure to rescind the Authorization of Military Force that has allowed four presidents to by pass the legislative branch to wage war by other names in various foreign countries. The Senate voted cloture by 68-27 and now it goes to the floor.

David Kaiser posted this morning on the divided news industry which reflects the social/political divide in the country. I hadn't heard about Biden's questionable quip about not being Irish because he was "sober and none of his relatives were in prison." As the old saying goes "insert foot and chew vigorously." Nor had I heard about the boos that greeted the Vice President at a basketball game. I had the same reaction I had to the various kinds of rudeness dumped on members of The Former Guy's administration just trying to enjoy a dinner out. Although some were definitely reprehensible, you can't attribute the behavior of their detractors to having been raised in a barn--farm animals definitely have to behave themselves with each other. We have normalized bad and worse behavior. I will add that this isn't a both-sidesism. I am NOT excusing one side or absolving the other. And I recognize that physical violence by which ever side is never justified.

I am trying to ignore the noise speculating on when or if TFG will be indicted. Everyone assumed that because the New York DA is (supposedly--another bit of speculation) close to terminating his grand jury investigation it will result in an indictment. There is no evidence that such a result is inevitable. What I don't see is the former Party of Law and Order lining up on the side of "let the process run its course." They don't even say that when it is a Democrat in the crosshairs. Then it become a "lock'em up" if not a "hang'em high." The very notion of Law or Justice seems to have been twisted out of all recognition.

No comments: