Wednesday, October 11, 2023

October 11

 We have sun for now. Rain is supposed to come in this afternoon and for the next three or four days. I tried to detach my garden hose but it won't budge. When I attached it in the spring I only tightened it finger tight. Our landlord is going to send over their handyman to get it off for me. We have always been grateful for such good landlords.

We have again shifted away from the news. So much of it is on the Israel-Hamas conflict and offers very little in the way of facts and a lot of speculation. My feeling: there isn't anything I can do except observe. It looks like people are separating into two camps neither of which I can join. One is entirely in Israel's camp: Hamas perpetrated a terrible crime and must be punished even at the expense of the general Palestinian population amongst whom they hide. The other excuses the attack and the suffering of Israelis none of whom they consider innocent in the matter. That dynamic is playing out now as the cries of indignation rise from both sides when the other criticizes the victims they decide are most worthy of condemnation.

Denise Donaldson posted a good article on "It's STILL The Economy Stupids (just not the way they mean)." I am amazed that the economic pundits still pontificate on how we are so misguided to think the economy isn't as good as they say it is--at least for the lower 60%. 

Stray thought for those demanding "restraint" from Israel: is it reasonable to demand restraint from those who have suffered from an unrestrained attack? Another stray thought: why does each side need to pretend those they support are pure as pure can be while the other side is so black that no distinctions can be seen? 

No comments: