Tuesday, April 9, 2024

April 9

 Good morning. It is sunny and getting warmer. We didn't see the eclipse yesterday. The pictures on the news were spectacular but we didn't feel any urge to travel south where the path of totality crossed our state. We did see a dimming of the sunlight to about 80%. If the weather stays mild and dry I hope to continue cleaning up the patio and removing dead plants. I saw some valerian shoots emerging but nothing yet.

I think our computer woes are, I think, I mentioned that our system was completely thrown out of whack when we upgraded our Xfinity modem/router to their new "gateway." We decided it was also a good time to retire our old laptops (somewhere between 8 and ten years old) with new ones. They have become increasingly balky and unreliable. We got our new laptops going fairly well but couldn't get our old printer connected. Our computers and original printer communicated by wifi but I couldn't figure out how to connect the new printer to the computers by wifi. So I finally went back to the old way and connected my computer directly by cable. It worked beautifully. So finally the system is back to a new normal.

Stray thought: Is Margery Taylor Green some kind of time traveler? I thought the notions of eclipses and earthquakes being signs of some god's disapproval and our response should be societal repentance and reform (presumably in the direction MTG thinks god has told her) went out of fashion when the celestial mechanic showed how planetary motion created regular eclipses and geological studies showed how the motions of tectonic plates created irregular earth tremors. No deity require. But the notion is so medieval.

No comments: