Monday, February 13, 2012

Good morning to you all.  This Monday is starting out with the sun about to rise but by later this afternoon the weather people say we will have another snow system.  Should give parts of the area 1 to 2 inches of snow.

Hello, Kay.  I agree on all points.  My problem with the Catholic Church is the equating their freedom to choose with a restriction of my freedom to choose.  I can give you a specific example.  A family member gave birth at a Catholic hospital some years ago for the second time in less than three years.  The couple wanted to limit their family to the two and the second had been difficult so they wanted the doctor to tie her tubes and do a vasectomy on him.  The staff refused and, because they were on public assistance and that hospital was the only one in the area accepting public assistance patients and the alternative birth control methods failed, three months later she was pregnant again.  They are not and were not Catholic.  What about their freedom to choose?  I do not mind the Church preaching the moral standards believers should abide by whether it is birth control, or divorce, or who should marry within the Church.  I deeply resent what I see as an attempt to enforce those standards on those of us who are not Catholic and that is exactly what their political activism is all about.

I think you all and Kay especially might enjoy this link.  John Aravosis at Americablog take up the argument the Bishops and equally obtuse Repthuglican politicians that to require them (or by extension their insurance firms) to provide contraceptives to their employees violates their religious freedoms enshrined in the Constitutions.  Reading this I doubt they have much of a legal argument.

John Robb at Global Guerrillas has a post this morning that echoes and expands on some of my remarks yesterday on the morality or rather the lack of morality in modern capitalism.  At base, the problem is a lack of trust on any level and the lack of any restraints which would build  trust.

You might like this one, Nicola.  Chris In Paris (another blogger at Americablog) links to a Guardian story which reports the lawyer for some of the victims of the phone hacking may try to bring legal action in the U.S.  Evidently, News Corp is headquartered over here.

1 comment:

Nicola said...

I agree very strongly with your views on the Catholic Church and I was brought up as a Catholic!!

I now consider myself a Christian who tries to live my life honestly, with thought for others and paying my blessings forward.