Friday, December 8, 2017

A frigid 16F this morning. Ah, well--'tis the season and it will be with us for another three months. I am looking forward to days getting longer again. The days seem to start so much later and end so much earlier than I like. Though the time change is a part of my discontent it isn't by any means all of it.

I found this encouraging article. I have always had more books, on shelves or (now) on e-reader, than I have read. At times I could honestly say I actually read as many as 95% of them but never have I achieved 100%. I also keep lists of books I might want to read--someday. A long time ago I realized that there are far more books out there and mare published each year than I can ever hope to read--unless I achieve immortality and the publishing industry dies.

Nimue Brown has an acidic post on the current dysfunctional U.K. society that well describes ours as well. Basically our society expects us peons to work ourselves to death to not make a living. The labor force participation rate has been pegged at about 63% for the last couple of years meaning that more than one third of the potential labor force has checked out of the system. Our pundits, political leaders, financiers all think this is laziness and an unwillingness to work hard. I say it is simply realizing the truth of the inhumane society we are stuck in.

No comments: