Thursday, September 3, 2020

 September 2

Should have welcomed you all to meteorological fall yesterday. Oh, well. Here it is a day late.

We had rain yesterday--a nice long rain. August started off wet and then turned very dry. Our area has moved into the moderately dry to moderate drought category and I doubt we got enough moisture to change that. The gardens are doing nicely though looking a bit overgrown as they do every fall. I simply don't get out enough during hot weather and July and August were on the top ten all time list for heat. I did get out long enough to pull the bee balm and empty the pot but didn't do much else.

In a bit of a departure for us we got a flu shot this year. Normally, we don't bother because we simply don't have a lot of contact with other people. No young children to carry colds and flu in. No prolonged contact with others when we go shopping. We don't do parties and even family gatherings have been few, far between, and with only a handful of people. However, with the coronavirus circulating we made a different calculation. Might as well minimize even more our minuscule risk of flu and hope we can also avoid the coronavirus.

September 3

I just finished watering the gardens. Thinking what to take out when. The catnip has almost finished blooming. I have left it in because the bees love it. A friend of mine said they like the mints of which catnip is one. The spearmint is blooming nicely and the bees are coming to it and the couple of peppermint plants that are blooming. I plan to take some of those out of a couple of the small(er) pots. However, I hope the spearmint will come back next spring in the large pot I put it in this spring. I plan to put peppermint in the other large pot in which I put lavender this year. Lavender did not like that spot so I will put next year's seedlings into another area. I am already looking at which pots I plan to give extra protection in hopes the plants will survive the winter. The weather forecasters promised us cooler weather but then had walk that back. Evidently their models simply aren't agreeing with each other. We'll have to see what happens.

We are avoiding politics as much as possible. It's inane and insane. I am at the point of muting the news whenever that faux Republican cockwobble is on. Lovely word, that; I'll let you look it up. 

Even though both of us are retired we still hate the twice yearly time changes. Our furry little alarm clocks don't adjust well either. The Smithsonian has this piece from sleep experts who advocate a single, nationwide standard. Either put it at daylight savings time or at (so-called) standard time and leave the damned thing alone. I have seen several posts that compare the procedure to cutting off the top of a blanket off and sewing it to the bottom and claiming you have a longer blanket.

No comments: