Thursday, August 10, 2023

August 9

 We had rain starting with a short but heavy downpour yesterday evening and going through the night. I think the weather forecast said rain would continue intermittently through today. No errands on tap for today and I have a couple of areas I want to get straightened up today. And probably tomorrow.

I found this Doomberg article I could only read half of. But the rest of the article is for paid subscribers and I have to ruthlessly suppress my urge to pay for subscriptions because I could easily clear my meager bank account subscribing to all of the sites that, every now and then, have interesting articles. I loved the first half of the piece for free subscribers which recounted how Chaos Theory developed. I don't think I will buy the book they cited because I don't want to do that deep a dive into math history. And then the author noted the relevance of Chaos Theory to weather, the economy and so much else in our lives. We can't predict the weather more than a few days out and longer range predictions may diverge from expectations. There are groups of people who think they can control the economy if only we could change this or that input. They can't.

Oh, on that notion of what would happen if something derailed the current reliance on the system of warehouses to supply customers with goods. I am about half way through an interesting book:THE END OF THE WORLD IS HERE. The author spent that first half looking at transportation and the global supply chains which depend on a large American military presence. As I read that I remembered another book: Alfred McCoy's TO GOVERN THE GLOBE. It described the European competition to control the trade choke points which finally culminated in the world order that has held over the last 70 years which ensured secure ocean transport through those choke points. That security is being dismantled now and that will be rippling through the warehouse system.

No comments: