Sunday, June 13, 2021

 June 13

Another warm day and they say we won't get any rain for at least another week. I intended to do some weeding today but I have no energy to do much. We weren't out all that long yesterday but we found that as tiring as a heavy shopping day. It was nice to connect with family though most of the people there were people my brother knows and we don't. The nice thing is I can take a rest and not do anything if I don't want to. I got a bit more on my blue and white snowflake table topper and pulled out a round on that crochet table topper that has been so problem some. Thankfully only one round.

I hadn't intended to post today but I found this piece that is depressing and infuriating. I saw a couple of news segments on the new Alzheimer's drug over the last couple of days. One doctor that was interviewed admitted, when asked, that it didn't cure the condition but prolonged the progression--meaning that it would take longer for the symptoms to get severe. There was a sense of celebration since there hasn't been a new treatment for Alzheimer's for nearly 20 years. I don't see that there is much to celebrate about a drug that has the FDA approved it over its scientific advisory board objection's on the basis of "thin" evidence of its efficacy and evidence of severe side effects. In addition the cost is astronomical with most of it borne by Medicare, Medicaid and other agencies--which is to say the taxpayers. Notice the comment on how much those on Medicare will have to pay after Medicare has taken care of its 80%. Clue: it is more than my yearly Medicare payments. And it doesn't include the costs of scans and monitoring necessary to catch the adverse side effects. I think medicine has reverted to the era of the snake oil salesmen of a hundred years ago before the first Pure Food And Drug Act. 


No comments: