Saturday, June 5, 2021

 June 3

Another nice sunny and, so far, dry day though the temperature is going up. I watered the gardens before we had breakfast and went out shopping. Glad I did. I would have been wilting. Bad enough walking out to bring in the trash tote after the truck came by. Earlier this morning, as we were coming back to unload from the first half of our trips, I saw a nice set of plastic drawers on wheels. I know those cost between $40 and $60 in the stores and on line. I snagged it. I can always find a place for it and storage has always been at a premium here.

None of the stores we visited today require masks any more. One had a sign which specified that vaccinated patrons didn't need to mask and it wasn't the drug store. The clerk at there did specify when we asked about  their policy. She was a bit touchy ("That's PRIVATE" she said) when Mom  asked if she was vaccinated but lightened up a bit when Mom assured her she was just curious because we were and we were aware that a fair number of people weren't and weren't intending to get the shot(s).

June 5

I got very busy yesterday and forgot to come back here. Got the last plants into their containers and watered, and processed two more bunches of asparagus for freezing before breakfast. I finally got the tablecloth back to where it was when I found that mistake and took out three more rounds than I needed to. It only took about six hours of crocheting time. The temps hit low 90s yesterday and is supposed to do the same today and tomorrow. Though hot I don't think it was a record here unlike the recent temps in the west.

I mentioned the drought in the west a couple of blogs ago. Here is another which indicates how serious the situation really is. The author considers climate change mythical but the drought is not and nor are its foreseeable consequences. I am in the "Climate change--maybe" camp but I don't think it matters much. I read a lot of history and know of several instances of devastating "dry" periods which influenced the course of history. In the 12th century BC an abnormally dry period coincided with the collapse of several civilizations in the near east and eastern Mediterranean. The Anasazi were done in by a drought that last 500years. The rise of the Roman Republic/Empire came during the "Roman Climate Optimum" when the Mediterranean experienced good rainfall and moderate temperatures while the collapse of the Western Roman Empire came when that period ended and rainfall was scant and the temperatures higher. The modern questions over the reality of "climate change" is basically one of whether it is anthropogenic or not. And it doesn't matter a good goddam either way. Dealing with it is going to be a bitch.

No comments: