Wednesday, June 2, 2021

 June 2

Nice today with a bit of overcast but a good bit of sun. I hope it stays dry. Of the to-do list I have finished the first: vacuuming the downstairs--at least the high traffic areas. We don't often do the areas that require moving heavy pieces of furniture and the area under out recliners are totally out of the question--way too heavy. I am taking a bit of a break before getting the seven plants I got yesterday into their pots/buckets. After that---we'll see. I always start out the day thinking of what I would like to do but sometimes I just ignore it and do something (or nothing) else.

Well--the second item on the list is done. All the plants are in their containers. I re-read  the tags to find out how hardy the plants are. I had already checked to make sure they could take the sun and the heat on the patio. Pleasantly surprised to find that four are hardy to -30*. I plan to protect them for the winter and hope to see them come up again next spring. Having perennials reduces my work and at my age and general state of not-so-fit is definitely a plus.

Crooks&Liars has a good one this morning explaining the phenomenon of Marjorie Taylor Green. You don't have to follow the link if you don't want to. I will give you the punch line--she "is what happens when the ventriloquist dies and the dummy keeps talking." Amen!!!!

John Michael Greer has a good post today which echoes thoughts that have been rattling around in my head but expressed more comprehensively and more elegantly than I have. Almost all of the previously trusted institutions on which our society is built seem to be crumbling before our eyes. Whether it is our political institutions, our schools, our science, our economy or our churches--none command our trust and without that we have little incentive to believe what we are told or to follow obey the rules we get from them. These are trends that have been growing for at least the last 50 years and are now like a boil ready to burst.

No comments: