Tuesday, December 26, 2023

December 26

 Cloudy and cooler today--started just below 40F instead of almost 60. We are binging Premier League soccer (or football if you are on the other side of the Atlantic). Four games today since it is Boxing Day over there. We find it is a lot more entertaining than our news. I spent about three hours crocheting this morning. The little blanket is nearly done. Yesterday I got another square woven on my Zoom Loom before my fingers gave out. I am using a medium weight yarn (#4) but it is heavier than I like. It is easier to use baby or lace weight yarn. Oh, well, it is what I have.

Found this--another in the collapse in U.S. health care. For at least the last 30 years the powers that be have pushed more technology, especially the Electronic Records system. The technology has been sold to us as a way to make the system more efficient allowing it to deliver services more quickly and cheaply. I don't know who has been smoking what but it looks like a fail--a big fail. The author notes that she didn't even try to get the statistics or authoritative source. Actually she doesn't need either. First, it is her experience and she is the authoritative source. Second, statistics can be as obfuscating as informing--sometimes more. The numbers might say everything is hunky-dory but you won't believe it if your experience says otherwise. That is what the economic pundits have been finding out.

This Xeet, or what ever they call a Tweet nowadays, on my Facebook feed and wondered what was going on. I did a quick and dirty Google search and found a whole list of entries on such problems on a whole lot of different makes and models. There are times when I really question how useful some of our technology is.

No comments: