Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The deep freeze is back right on schedule.  Raw temps are bad enough but we have a bit of a breeze which drops the feel to mid-double digits below zero.  Weather like this makes spring feel much further away than a month.

******************************************************

Didn't see much I wanted to comment on yesterday.  The post-mortem on the Oscars dominated the news but that is a topic I have no interest in.  I haven't seen any of the movies and don't intend to see any of them.  The (s)news machine seems intent on hyping events like the Oscars, the Superbowl, etc.,  Once upon a time those would have been relegated to a small segment in the entertainment, social, or sports reports but that is what dominates new reports now.  That is why I no longer watch much news.  And what time isn't given over to "infotainment" is dedicated to repeating whatever story, however inconsequential, that the programmers think will titillate viewers.  Oh, well--enough grousing.  Let's see what I might find today.

Four more new craters have been found in Siberia and scientists are scrambling to explain them.  The pictures are stunning.

I follow Susan Being Snippy for her craft work but this is interesting because it reflects what I think when I see articles about retirement planning.  They don't really apply to me because I spent so much of my time doing low paid work while trying to get the education that would move me into a good paying career only to find the economic ground cut out from under me each time.  I had no 401k, no pension, and not much savings because every time I got a bit ahead something happened to wipe it out.

Interesting, and a bit scary.  The old saying tells us that the first step in getting out of a hole is to stop digging but those figures say that even if we stop digging we can't get out of the fiscal hole.

No comments: