Monday, November 6, 2017

We had heavy rains over the weekend with dense morning fog. That is very unusual for this time of the year. Hopefully the weather report is more accurate than those of the last few weeks. The predicted 60F temperatures never materialized. I plan on taking things slow and easy today, like yesterday, and maybe for a couple of more days. The time change always throws me off. Thankfully I don't have a job to go to and we have no errands planned so we can be lazy. I really, really hate that shifting of the time. I watched an interesting short Youtube piece on how it so does not save us energy but actually costs money, increases the number of accidents on the road and heart attacks the day after. Yeah, yeah--I know correlation doesn't prove causation but when it happens year after year and the savings are proven bogus--you have to ask why do our politicians insist on keeping it. Well, the answer, according to Youtube, is major lobbying by the restaurant industry, the entertainment industry, the retail industry and any other industry that benefits when consumers have more afternoon and evening hours to get out of the house and spend money because the daylight lasts a bit longer at the end of the day. Another reason to hate our commercial culture.

Mother Nature News has an interesting notion: put everyone, worldwide, on the same time. I didn't know there was anything like "Coordinated Universal Time." CNN has more here.

Just pulled the marigold and dumped the impatiens. The combination of chilly temps and monsoonal style rains battered them both badly. I should sweep the patio after things have dried out and after I warm up from that brief bit of work outside. I pulled one jar of sourdough starter out of the freezer yesterday. It thawed overnight and I mixed it up adding a cup each of water and flour. It is beginning to bubble nicely. I will feed it again tomorrow night so I can do up of loaf of bread Wednesday.

Well, every now and then, probably by accident, #45 says something I can agree with. I won't link because it is all over the news feeds. He proclaimed the Texas church shooting to be an "act of evil" and a "mental health issue" not a gun issue. Yes to both those points. That last is why I am not an advocate for gun control. I don't blame the tool for some ass's misuse of it. Unfortunately, we don't do much to address the mental health issue and our political idiots are trying desperately to scale back any health care at all, mental or otherwise. I would go and have gone even deeper in the explanation. For the last fifty years our society has enabled rampant and entitled individualism and then winked at violence perpetrated by those entitled individuals. We have a growing anger management problem and are doing nothing about it except verbally deploring it.

I am going to quit here because something is happening on the internet and several of my favorite sites are not loading. Why--I have no idea. I was on them earlier for other articles but now they simply won't load. Time to call it a day.

No comments: