Wednesday, July 26, 2023

July 26

Waiting to see if I will have to water plants on the patio today. It is still way too early to see anything outside.

I have described myself as a "medical minimalist" and this kind of story reinforces that attitude. When Ozempic and other such drugs first came out I remember the ads which touted them for helping controlling diabetes and slyly suggesting they "may help you lose weight." I predicted it wouldn't be long before they would be prescribed for weight loss and I was right. Now we are seeing the downside of those bright promises.

I spent a lot of my life in one college/university as student, grad student, teaching/research assistant, or adjunct. I don't think I would want to go that route in the current climate. This piece by Dan Moynihan at Can We Still Govern shows why. Texas and Florida are at the forefront of this trend but other states and individual institutions are also following similar tactics. About 25 years ago when I was desperate for work and a paycheck I decided NOT to apply for substitute teaching positions with the local school system because these kinds of issues were heating. I didn't want to deal with that and the situations then were tame by comparison to what we see today.

So it continues: the conman who once occupied the White House continues to run out on his obligations. I Hope the mayor of Erie, Pennsylvania can get him to pay up this time. And maybe for the last time as well.

No comments: