Saturday, July 29, 2023

July 29

We had a wild thunderstorm overnight. I will do a more thorough check of the gardens but I think they all survived the high winds and heavy rain. On the good side: another day I don't have to water anything. I will definitely be looking at better ways to support any trellises I put in next year. The arrangement I have now survived by it is listing a bit.

I found this article on an attempt to reestablish forest in Ireland that disappeared over 1000 years ago.

Doomberg posted a story about the claims made in the last few days in an as yet unpublished and not-peer-reviewed paper from South Korean researchers that they have achieved superconductivity at ambient temperatures and pressure. Doomberg's article is justifiably skeptical and so are other sources I found on line. As noted, such claims have appeared at regular intervals for the last 100 years along with other fantastic claims in other fields of science. Most don't pan out for a variety of reasons. 

No comments: