Sunday, July 9, 2023

July 9

Didn't do much yesterday--not even reading. I know what I should do today but how much I will do we'll see.  Right now I will see what I find in the news and e-mail.

I found this on BBC this morning which says nothing good about the treatment of workers in today's corporate environment. But just reflects the trajectory of the last few decades. I remember applying for jobs and never even receiving an acknowledgement that the company got it. I remember interviewing for the job and never hearing anything else from the company. At least I didn't have the experience of a company bringing in foreign workers and expecting me to train my own replacement. I remember following the advice of counselors who said you should send "thank you" notes after an interview and follow up by phone until I realized that such courtesies were not reciprocated.

Le Monde has an article about Italy's "demographic winter." Italy isn't the only country facing a diminishing population. I have seen stories about most of the European countries, Russia, Japan, China, and the U.S. But no one has any good programs to encourage people to have children and a lot of conditions/policies that discourage it.

The Supreme Court's decision on affirmative action inspired David Kaiser to write a three part series on the decision, the affirming arguments and the dissenting arguments. He posted his third part today and it is a devastating indictment of higher education. 

No comments: