Friday, January 15, 2010

Good Morning, Everyone. The news has, of course, been full of stories on the Haitian earthquake relief/rescue efforts. Then there are some other stories that should get better coverage but I rather doubt they will. Like this one from Common Dreams it deals with historical trends that contributed to the catastrophe but which few will want to even think about. But I wonder how often such histories contribute to the current problems. I have read about similar patterns of development intensifying famines in Africa, crop failures in Africa and Asia, drought conditions in various places. We have shown intense historical myopia consistently throughout our history. And we have shown an unwillingness to believe that, perhaps, our much loved theories of economic development simply don't work as we want them to. The attitude reminds me of a scene in the movie Independence Day. The first nuclear bomb fails to stop the alien invaders it was dropped on and the President calls back all of the other bombers while the Secretary of Defense protests that the others 'might have more luck.' Which reminds me of a particularly apt definition of insanity: trying something that hasn't worked again and again hoping for a different outcome.

I have been reading a good deal lately about various 'slow' movements. Last year 60 Minutes did a segment on the slow food movement. Just recently I found (and joined) a new group on Facebook called 'Slow Cloth.' Bloggher has this post which gives a pretty comprehensive view of the phenomenon. I have a lot of sympathy for these movements. I hate being rushed. When I read a job announcement that touts multi-tasking and fast paced I am totally turned off. I like to work more slowly and think about what I am doing.


1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

Thank you!!!! The links explained a lot -- I knew some of it but needed more!

I spent too many years as a full-time mom not to understand "fast-past and multi-tasking" but no one would hire me anyway.