Monday, October 19, 2015

Monday--

Sunny today and a little warmer.  I am looking at what I want to do next in the gardens.  The mandevila has survived the last two nights of near freezing temps so I won't take it out just yet.  But the bee balm needs to be cut back and I want to check out the foxglove and feverfew to see how I should protect them over winter.

I do love Margaret and Helen.  I don't always agree with them but they are always fun to read.

I have wished for some time that our pundits and news people would quite talking about Uber, Lyft, and AirBnB as parts of the "sharing economy."  Here Frances Coppola makes the same point I have often made: there is nothing "sharing" about it; it is all about money.

How often do we hear about the benefits "antioxidants" and how many foods are marketed as "high in antioxidants"?  Well, this article advises caution with regard to consuming extra high doses of them.  We have a policy here: moderation in everything.  We don't eat anything simply for the antioxidants or the boosted vitamin content or the higher fiber or anything else.  We do take a multivitamin but that is because we only eat a light breakfast and a light dinner with maybe a small snack.  We don't eat three full meals.  And data from the Agriculture department indicates that over the last half-century show that our commercially grown veggies have lost significant levels of nutrients.  The multivitamin is simply an "insurance" policy.

I often wonder if these idiots really believe what they are saying.  And I don't think I have ever seen such a spectacle of desperation.

No comments: