Monday, October 12, 2015

Saturday--

Just spent half an hour trying to scan a design with commands from the computer.  Ain't working. We just upgrade to the new Yosemite operating system and none of the scan functions work from the computer.  I haven't found anything yet.  Oh, well, I can scan manually and print remotely. That will do for now.

The gardens are almost shut down.  I have the mandevilla to take out along with four ornamental sweet potatoes.  Will soon cut down the hyssop and the remaining peppermint for drying.  I am debating moving the feverfew and the foxglove before covering them for the winter.

Sunday--

For some reason my computer froze this morning.  My cursor wouldn't move anywhere and the forced quit wouldn't work.  I finally had to do a hard shutdown of the computer itself.  When I started it again everything, so far, has worked.

Monday--

The gardening season is definitely winding down.  I took out what was left of the sunflower stalks and the beans.  When I cut them down earlier I cut about four inches above the soil.  Even so cutting out the upper part of the roots was a chore--big, deep and tough.  The rest can remain in the ground and decompose there.  I don't intend to do any deep digging in the beds.  Nothing below the top 6-8 inches.  My version of "container no-dig" cultivation.  I looked at the remaining hyssop and peppermint and decided not to take any more for drying.  I have plenty of the peppermint and don't use much of the hyssop so not taking any more is no hardship.  I put hyssop in mainly for the color (lovely purple spikes) and the bees (which love it.)  I put the dehydrator away for the season--or, rather, I put one away.  I will box the other in the next few days.

I just love the way Congress can waste time and money.  The "Select" Committee on Benghazi is a case in point.  I put select in quotes because I think they held a biggest idiot contest on the Repthuglican side to decide who would man be on it.  I struck man because I cant see where there is a "man" there except in the purely biological sense of having an X and a Y chromosome.

No comments: